Thursday, July 7, 2011

a couple things for the boys


Today is my sweet boy's 4th birthday and out of everything I could have made him (as I like to have at least one handmade item as a gift), he chose this little worm from the Wee Wonderfuls book by Hillary Lang. I'm not normally a 'worm' person, but look at it's friendly little smile. C named it Lowly. He's actually a bookworm so he likes to hang out inside, but today we popped outside just before the rainstorm hit to get some fresh air and nibble on a juicy green leaf. C made me take off the head scarf so he looks like a little old bald worm now (not that worms are supposed to have hair..) I think I'll make him a bow tie as he seems a little naked without the scarf..


I had also just finished a very belated birthday gift for my 6 year old nephew. A while back I had made a super hero cape for C. He loved it and I was pretty pleased with it too except for the neck band. I used a satin crepe fabric and wanted it to be double sided so he could pretend to be either Superman or Batman, but the cape ended up being a bit too heavy and since I changed the pattern slightly (it was originally supposed to attach at the shoulders of a full super hero suit), the velcro neckband was kind of 'chokey' and uncomfortable. C still wears it but not for a very long time.
Sooo, I was supposed to make a cape for my nephew but couldn't figure out how to do the neck. My mom had suggested making a real collar for the cape instead of just a strap (she got this idea from seeing one in a movie). I got thinking...


Since I had a few shirt collars kicking around from my UPcycled dresses, I decided to use one of those instead of making a whole new one.


I thought it looked a little 'off' at first, but now I really like it! It's kind of like Bruce Wayne on one side, and Batman on the other. (or Clark Kent and Superman - you get the picture..) Well, it was way more comfortable and C didn't seem to find it uncomfortable at all when he modeled it for me. The only tricky thing is that it's a button closure, so definitely for the older kids only. So, there you go B. I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment