Wednesday, May 4, 2011

rrrruffles!


I've been wanting to make a little ruffle skirt for a little while now, and I found an adorable pattern by Pink Chickadee Patterns on Etsy (the Cupcake Skirt which, by the way, was a really well written, very detailed pattern). I have to say that I LOVE the way it turned out, but I didn't really enjoy sewing it. First off, I don't have a serger which would have made this so much easier and cleaner (lots of raw edges and seams on the inside that need to be finished). And secondly, I don't think sewing ruffles is for me. They are really finicky and, in my opinion, require extra patience and lots of trust that it'll all work out in the end. I tend to like clean (straight) lines better not just because they are easier to sew, but because they are more predictable. Hmmm, sounds pretty boring... Maybe I should give ruffles another try...


Ok, back to the skirt... the top ruffle is from a vintage pillow case, the middle ruffle is a soft cotton chambray, and the bottom is a yarn-dyed gingham. I really do love how these fabrics work together! Maybe while I'm working up the courage to try ruffles again, I'll try this fabric combo in a more simple, 'sensible' sundress.

No comments:

Post a Comment